Monday, April 25, 2011

My "Joey" Moment

Joey marrying Monica and Chandler on Friends

Every since I saw this episode of Friends, I was certain of two things for my own wedding. I would walk down the aisle to a string quartet version of Everlong by Foo Fighters and I would have one of my close friends officiate. 10 years later, Everlong may not make the cut, but I'm still determined to have a friend officiant!

He married Phoebe and Mike too!

Mr. Warbs and I aren't overly religious. We don't attend a church and wouldn't feel comfortable having a priest or pastor of any faith marry us. When I told Mr. Warbs of my wish to have a friend officiate he was completely supported the idea of having somebody that we know marry us instead of a stranger. Apparently, a lot of couples feel that way. Around the blog-verse more than half detailed that they were going the friend route as well. Everyone is embracing the idea of having only those people that you love stand up at the altar with you, in real life and on TV!

Barney married Lily and Marshall on How I Met Your Mother

So we asked our good friend Laura to be our officiant. Laura is of the political persuasion so she's naturally a good speaker, has an awesome personality, and most importantly, loves Korean BBQ. When one of my BMs suggested her I had a classic "Duh!" moment. Of course!  After we asked her the first thing she said was, "Like Joey?!". Right then, I knew we had made the right choice! Smart, bubbly personality and she's up on her Friends references? Yes, please! 

Is anyone else having a friend officiate?

1 comment: